Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Heritage

cook1

My Grandmother recently passed down to me a cookbook that has been in our family since 1894. It has been used by the last 4 generations.

Twentieth Century Cookbook and Housekeeping

I carefully took it out of the bag it was in, and ever so gently flipped the pages. It didn't take me long to realize how good I've got it. Every recipe include milking a cow, or breaking a chickens neck.

My great.. great...Great Grandmother even sketched in a few of her own recipes.

cook2

I love the stains on the pages. I love they represent years of mixing bowls, spills, and family dinners.

My sweet grandmother even gave me the pot that she has cooked in over the years. I was so excited that I ran out and bought all the ingredients for my favorite meals.

Well, it didn't take long for me to figure out that those meals are so much more than the book they came from or the pot that cooked them.

Nope, its the hands that prepared them that makes the meals what I remembered as a child.

This cookbook will be something that I will hold dear and hopefully pass along one day. In the meantime, my hands are busy preparing my own special recipes to feed the ones that I love. Just like generations past...

Courtney

No comments: