Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Lost focus

One thing Brendan and I have always been super focused on is our finances... not so much the amount, but honoring Christ in our financial dealings. We believe so strongly that Christ should be the center of your finances that we lead a small group dealing with just that. Because of that, I think Satan temps us in that area sometime. When it was time for Brendan to buy a truck, he used his strategies. You see, my sweet husband loves trucks, but for the sake of keeping with our budget he went without one. He went over a year truckless. We both actually got use to it and it quickly became a non-issue. However, we are on the brink of some huge changes around here ( I'll get to that another day ) and a truck is now a necessity. So, Brendan went out and found a great deal on a truck he loved and got a loan! Great Right??? Not so fast, about a week after that, the Lord started dealing with us on that decision. You see we had made the comittment to live debt free... we have ZERO debt other that our mortgage which we are believing will be paid off in the sometime near future. I started wondering, why do we feel so guilty for this loan, everyone is covered in debt, what is a a small loan? So I went to the Bible to see if this was a "gray area"... ummm... its not!
"Keep out of debt and owe no man anything" Romans 13:8
"Just as the rich rule the poor, so the borrower is servant to the lender" Proverbs 22:7

I could go on and on, actually there are 2,350 verses in the Bible that deal with finances.
So, we knew what we had to do, and because we have been faithful with our finances we had the ability to do it.... go PAY for the truck. So, I think we had the shortest loan in history! It was certainly a weight lifted. The Lord also used it to pull me out of my "season of want" and refocus us! Some people call us extremest when it comes to the issue, but I can't even begin to tell you how the Lord is blessing us through this decisions. Honestly, there are many months when I open the ledger and I see a "loaves and fishes" kind of miracle. We have more than what Brendan made!! I just close the ledger and smile, I KNOW He is taking care of us!
Our prayer is that our boys feel the peace of financial freedom and seek it for themselves one day!

Courtney

3 comments:

Stephanie Drew said...

Proud of you and your commitment to the Lord. May He honor that and pour blessing on your family

Jaime said...

That is a great testimony about obedience and trusting the Lord. I know He will continue to bless you guys for it. Thanks for sharing!

The Latham Family said...

That kind of story is why I read blogs! Thanks so much for not being afraid to tell about something that convicts you so strongly...what a great example!